Skip to main content

What Writers Often Feel After They Push the Publish Button

 


Imagine you're a writer and you've just pushed the publish button on your latest story. What would you do then? Do you break out in a sweat, wring your hands, circle your chair, pace the floor, drop to your knees, or just sit calmly and wait for the inevitable?

I usually jump up and bake cookies, do some laundry, or rearrange some dust — anything to take my mind off the fact I’ve just dropped my precious baby down that crazy rabbit hole — again.

Writers deal with word-induced fear every day. Let’s examine a few of the reasons why. 
  • Lack of confidence — No matter how much we write, how often we publish, or how well each story does, we sweat with renewed anxiety each time we send another story out into the world for others to read?
  • Comments and feedback — Writers have fragile egos. It’s part of our creative genetics. The world we live in is not known for tactfulness, kindness, or acceptance of strangers. And what can be stranger than a writer who’s just published a new story?
“I don’t care if a reader hates one of my stories, just as long as he finishes the book.” ~Roald Dahl
  • The publish button — We can never be sure of what lies below the surface of the publishing waters. It could be the ecstasy of success that blesses a tiny few or the VOID. (The void is the nothingness that happens after you publish which leaves you wondering if your article was jettisoned into another dimension.)
Like Alice and her proverbial rabbit hole, lots of adventures can only be experienced once you take the leap. So a word of encouragement to all who are currently writers or want-to-be writers. Stay positive and take the plunge!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Design a Slow Stitch Fiber Art Project

Step one is to sketch a rough draft of the design you want to create for slow stitching.  Step two is to cut and place fabric and fibers where you want them in your design.  Step 3 is to start layering up individual areas of the design until you achieve the look you want. The next step is to remove each piece as you want to sew it onto your background fabric, leaving the designed piece intact until you're ready to sew them.  If the piece is very intricate, take a photo before starting to sew just in case you need to refer to it later. This is the method I use when designing my slow-stitch pieces. It's easy and works beautifully. This method leaves plenty of room for adding or modifying the design as you go along. Consider it a draft that you can embellish or improve as you work.   

Characters Must be Flawed to be Perfect - Writing Romantic Fiction

  Don’t bore your readers to death! Perfect people who make no mistakes, always do the right thing, and fulfill our every desire are guaranteed to bore a fiction reader to death! For me, this truth is an oxymoron. Why? Because I’d personally love to be such a perfect person and have my life filled with them. But, as a writer of fiction, I know that most readers won't get past the first ten pages of a story whose characters are cookie-cutter perfect. Why do the majority of those who love to read romantic fiction feel the same way? It’s really simple. Readers of romantic fiction want some sort of conflict on every page. They want to join the obstacle-filled journey of the protagonist as she/he struggles toward the ultimate goal of finding true love. And the harder this quest, the more likely they’ll stay with the story, turning each page with keen anticipation. As a writer, I like to create this conflict through external issues, but most especially, through the flawed personalities o...

Are You a Door Slammer - What Does it Accomplish

                                                 Purrrrr..."Who asked that stupid question?" I think most of us at some time in our lives have slammed a door out of frustration or anger. I know I'm guilty. It's not something I do now, and I'm not sure why I've done it in the past, except that it was a way to make sure that those around me knew I was upset.  But thinking back on the action, it was really a reaction to my own uncontrolled emotions. And to address the question as to what it accomplished, it would be easier to tell you what it DIDN'T accomplish. It didn't make those around me care more about my feelings. It didn't improve the situation at hand. It didn't make me a better person. It didn't get me what I wanted. It didn't show how mature I was or thought I was. It didn't punish anyone but myself. It didn't make me feel like I had won anything of va...