Skip to main content

Recipe — Potato soup with Meatballs

 


It Doesn’t Have a Michelin Star But It’s Come-Back Good

I’m a grandma that loves to cook. I received my training at the apron strings of my mother, aunts, and grandmother, who were all great cooks from Texas, USA.

Family gatherings meant that the ladies of the family spent many hours preparing their favorite dishes. None of them were trained chefs but they were all dedicated to putting their best food on the table.

Simple, satisfying, smell-good, taste-good food topped the menu. And since money was never something any of them had in abundance, their ability to improvise, adapt, and create original recipes flourished.

One thing you’ll learn about cooking from me is that grandma-style leaves lots of room for self-expression. Why? Because we don’t measure — we taste for accuracy. A pinch, a dash, a palm-full, and a smidgeon are all very exact directions when you learn to appreciate them.

So don’t get stuck in a rut, experiment a little, tweak a lot, and you’ll be surprised to find your own flair for cooking.

Let me share my latest dish…

Down-home potato soup with meatballs

You can start this dish with any basic recipe for potato soup. I always start with a stick of butter, diced onions, and chopped celery which I simmer in my favorite soup pot.
  • I’ll season with fresh garlic, salt, pepper, and a couple of spoons of chicken base.
  • I add the diced potatoes, frozen meatballs, and a handful of chopped spinach.
  • Then I fill my pot with liquid — 1 part water to 2 parts milk.
  • Be sure to add additional seasonings of your choice if you desire.
  • Cook on medium heat until potatoes are tender. Just before serving, I’ll add a couple of tablespoons of sour cream to the mix.
All that’s left is to dish it up into bowls and top it with your favorite croutons.

This soup is most appreciated on cold days when the inside of a person is in need of some additional warmth.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Design a Slow Stitch Fiber Art Project

Step one is to sketch a rough draft of the design you want to create for slow stitching.  Step two is to cut and place fabric and fibers where you want them in your design.  Step 3 is to start layering up individual areas of the design until you achieve the look you want. The next step is to remove each piece as you want to sew it onto your background fabric, leaving the designed piece intact until you're ready to sew them.  If the piece is very intricate, take a photo before starting to sew just in case you need to refer to it later. This is the method I use when designing my slow-stitch pieces. It's easy and works beautifully. This method leaves plenty of room for adding or modifying the design as you go along. Consider it a draft that you can embellish or improve as you work.   

Characters Must be Flawed to be Perfect - Writing Romantic Fiction

  Don’t bore your readers to death! Perfect people who make no mistakes, always do the right thing, and fulfill our every desire are guaranteed to bore a fiction reader to death! For me, this truth is an oxymoron. Why? Because I’d personally love to be such a perfect person and have my life filled with them. But, as a writer of fiction, I know that most readers won't get past the first ten pages of a story whose characters are cookie-cutter perfect. Why do the majority of those who love to read romantic fiction feel the same way? It’s really simple. Readers of romantic fiction want some sort of conflict on every page. They want to join the obstacle-filled journey of the protagonist as she/he struggles toward the ultimate goal of finding true love. And the harder this quest, the more likely they’ll stay with the story, turning each page with keen anticipation. As a writer, I like to create this conflict through external issues, but most especially, through the flawed personalities o...

Are You a Door Slammer - What Does it Accomplish

                                                 Purrrrr..."Who asked that stupid question?" I think most of us at some time in our lives have slammed a door out of frustration or anger. I know I'm guilty. It's not something I do now, and I'm not sure why I've done it in the past, except that it was a way to make sure that those around me knew I was upset.  But thinking back on the action, it was really a reaction to my own uncontrolled emotions. And to address the question as to what it accomplished, it would be easier to tell you what it DIDN'T accomplish. It didn't make those around me care more about my feelings. It didn't improve the situation at hand. It didn't make me a better person. It didn't get me what I wanted. It didn't show how mature I was or thought I was. It didn't punish anyone but myself. It didn't make me feel like I had won anything of va...