Skip to main content

How I Design a Slow Stitch Fiber Art Project


Step one is to sketch a rough draft of the design you want to create for slow stitching. 

Step two is to cut and place fabric and fibers where you want them in your design. 

Step 3 is to start layering up individual areas of the design until you achieve the look you want.








The next step is to remove each piece as you want to sew it onto your background fabric, leaving the designed piece intact until you're ready to sew them. 

If the piece is very intricate, take a photo before starting to sew just in case you need to refer to it later. This is the method I use when designing my slow-stitch pieces. It's easy and works beautifully.

This method leaves plenty of room for adding or modifying the design as you go along. Consider it a draft that you can embellish or improve as you work. 



 

Comments

  1. I just thought how I could use your technique to make it easier for me to design. I'll make a video on my YouTube channel, Markets of Sunshine and tag you in the description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonerful! So glad you found the technique helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Romance in a Tea Cup - Reading Serialized Fiction

  As a writer of romantic fiction, one of the most often comments I hear is that people don't have time to read a book. But, the innovative person that I am, I've found a way around that somewhat overused excuse. I'm sharing my stories in small episodes so that everyone can enjoy reading, no matter how busy they are. Think of it as a bit of nostalgia. A throwback to when novels were published in newspapers and magazines in serialized segments, daily or once a week. Now you can have the same reading convenience. Look for my first fiction post of YOU OWE ME soon... I'll be posting 3 or more episodes weekly until we reach THE END! To make it easy for you to find, all episodes will be posted under the category label, SERIAL FICTION - YOU OWE ME. You'll find those labels listed in the right sidebar.

Characters Must be Flawed to be Perfect - Writing Romantic Fiction

  Don’t bore your readers to death! Perfect people who make no mistakes, always do the right thing, and fulfill our every desire are guaranteed to bore a fiction reader to death! For me, this truth is an oxymoron. Why? Because I’d personally love to be such a perfect person and have my life filled with them. But, as a writer of fiction, I know that most readers won't get past the first ten pages of a story whose characters are cookie-cutter perfect. Why do the majority of those who love to read romantic fiction feel the same way? It’s really simple. Readers of romantic fiction want some sort of conflict on every page. They want to join the obstacle-filled journey of the protagonist as she/he struggles toward the ultimate goal of finding true love. And the harder this quest, the more likely they’ll stay with the story, turning each page with keen anticipation. As a writer, I like to create this conflict through external issues, but most especially, through the flawed personalities o...